About aged care
Our aged care system touches the lives of millions of Australians.
- More than one million people receive aged care services, with over half a million people receiving support at home.
- There are around 2.7 million carers, many of whom are family members.
- The system employs around 350,000 aged care staff across approximately 2,100 aged care providers.
- Millions of Australians already have a loved one receiving aged care services or are thinking about their own or someone else’s needs right now.
The Australian Government is committed to providing a sustainable system that supports older people who need care. Australia’s population is ageing rapidly and our current aged care system needs to change to keep up with future demand.
To address the limitations of our current aged care system and ensure it’s the best possible system for Australians – now and into the future – we are reforming the aged care system.
Reforms are being implemented progressively, to give older people more choice, easier access and better care. It will also build a better and more sustainable aged care system. The key reforms areas are:
- Home Care
- Commonwealth Home Support Programme
- My Aged Care
- Quality indicators
- Residential care
- Reducing Red Tape in Aged Care
In addition, the Government is committed to ensuring independent advice and consultation is used to support the changes to the aged care system.