Guidance for residential aged care facilities participating in the Quality Indicators Program
The voluntary Quality Indicators (QI) Program is open nationally to all residential facilities. A range of resources has been developed to assist residential facilities to collect their QI data using the same definitions and methods, enter their data into the QI application on the Provider Portal and access reports on their data. These resources are provided below.
- Overview of timeframes and processes for the QI Program (residential aged care)
- Quality Indicators as part of the Plan, Do, Study, Act cycle
- Example template for scheduling QI data collection
To collect nationally consistent data, it is important that the definitions and methods of collection are undertaken in the same way by all participating residential facilities.
The National Aged Care Quality Indicator Program Resource Manual has all the instructions you need for successful participation in the QI Program.
- The National Aged Care Quality Indicator Program Resource Manual for residential aged care facilities (QI Program Resource Manual) – January 2016 edition
The three QIs
Quality indicator 1 – pressure injuries
- Pressure Injuries – QI Program Resource Manual – see chapter 4
- Pressure Injuries – Information module
- Pressure injuries Risk Management Framework
- Example template for recording data for Quality Indicator 1: Pressure injuries
Quality indicator 2 – use of physical restraint
- Use of Physical Restraint – QI Program Resource Manual – see chapter 5
- Use of Physical Restraint – Information module
- Use of Physical Restraint Risk Management Framework
- Example template for recording data for Quality Indicator 2: Use of Physical Restraint
Quality indicator 3 – unplanned weight loss
- Unplanned Weight Loss – QI Program Resource Manual – see chapter 6
- Unplanned Weight Loss – Information module
- Unplanned Weight Loss Risk Management Framework
- Example template for recording data for Quality Indicator 3: Unplanned Weight Loss
- General practitioners – Quality indicators information sheet
- Clinical and care team – Quality indicators information sheet
- Residents and families – Quality indicators information sheet
- Board directors and executives – Quality indicators information sheet
Watch the information modules to learn about the QI definitions and how to collect and record data.
These modules provide information about the three quality indicators that are measured as part of the National Aged Care Quality Indicator Program:
Each module provides a detailed definition, how to collect and record data and how the data is converted to become a QI. The modules take approximately 30 minutes each to complete and consist of a short video, followed by a quiz.
Help with the Provider Portal
Accessing and using the QI application on the Provider Portal
- Quick Reference Guide
- View the How to access and use the QI Application video on YouTube
- Read the video transcript
Accessing your reports through the Provider Portal
For more information about the QI Program for residential aged care, phone the My Aged Care provider and assessor helpline on 1800 836 799.