Aged Care Complaints Commissioner

Page last updated: 11 December 2018

The Aged Care Complaints Commissioner (the Complaints Commissioner) provides a free service for anyone to raise their concerns about the quality of care and services being delivered to people receiving aged care services subsidised by the Australian Government.

The Complaints Commissioner is an independent statutory office holder responsible for providing a free complaints resolution service across Australia. The Complaint Commissioner's primary functions, under the Aged Care Act 1997 and Complaints Principles 2015, include:

  • resolving complaints about Australian Government subsidised aged care services, and
  • educating people and aged care providers about the best ways to handle complaints and the issues they raise.

What types of services are covered by the Complaints Commissioner?

The Complaints Commissioner can examine complaints about the following Australian Government subsidised aged care services, including:

  • residential care or residential respite care
  • Home Care Packages
  • Commonwealth Home Support Programme
  • flexible care, including transition care, and the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Programme.

They can support you to resolve your concerns directly with the service provider or examine complaints relating to a service provider’s responsibilities. This includes, for example, care, choice of activities, discrimination, catering, communication or the physical environment.

Who can raise a concern?

Anyone can raise a concern, including:

  • people receiving aged care
  • partners, including same-sex partners
  • family members
  • friends
  • representatives
  • advocates
  • carers
  • health and medical professionals
  • aged care staff and volunteers

You can access a free aged care advocate to support you when you raise a concern with the Complaints Commissioner or at any stage of the complaints process. Call the National Aged Care Advocacy Line directly on 1800 700 600, or speak to the Complaints Commissioner who can arrange for an advocacy service to contact you.

How can I contact the Complaints Commissioner to make a complaint?

By phone

Freecall 1800 550 552 (calls from mobiles may be charged)


Lodge a complaint through an online form

In writing

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner

GPO Box 9848

(Your capital city and state/territory)

Latest information about the Complaints Commissioner

The Aged Care Complaints Commissioner website is your best source for:

  • up to date easy to understand information about the complaints process
  • to read and order printed and online resources for care recipients, families and friends, representatives, service providers and staff.

Transition of the Aged Care Complaints Scheme to the Complaints Commissioner

The Complaints Commissioner replaces the Aged Care Complaints Scheme and will increase the independence of complaints management by separating complaints handling from the Department of Health’s funding and regulatory roles.

The lodging and handling of new complaints will continue as normal. Anyone with current complaints will not be impacted and the management and resolution of these will continue as outlined to them when the complaint process commenced.

A fact sheet on Independent Aged Care Complaints arrangements is available as part of the Budget materials.