Frequently asked questions for Victorian HACC providers transitioning to the CHSP

Page last updated: 27 July 2016

Printable version of Frequently asked questions for Victorian HACC providers transitioning to the CHSP PDF 50 KB 

CHSP Grant Agreement Process

Who can I contact if I have a query in regards to my new CHSP Grant Agreement?

For enquiries relating to the CHSP Grant Agreement please contact your Grant Agreement Manager, email or call 1800 900 554.

When will the first payment be received?

The first quarterly payment for 2016-17 will be processed once your CHSP agreement has been returned, signed and then executed by the department. Providers will be notified when payments are made.

What is an Activity Work Plan and how does it form a part of my new CHSP Grant Agreement?

An Activity Work Plan (AWP) details the services and outputs that a service provider delivers to older people in aged care planning regions. This information aligns with the funding split and mapping information agreed with your organisation as part of the transition. In order to ensure that grant agreements could be provided before 30 June 2016, AWPs relating to the Sector Support and Development sub-programme (SSD) have not been included with the offer of the recent CHSP Grant Agreement. A draft SSD AWP will be sent in August to those affected organisations to allow the completion of specific details such as milestones and those activities to be delivered with the funding.

If you have any additional questions about your AWP, please speak to your Grant Agreement Manager.


When will Victorian providers be able to access the Data Exchange?

Victorian HACC Program providers transitioning to the CHSP will be able to access the Data Exchange following execution of your CHSP Grant Agreement.

From 1 July 2016, the Data Exchange replaces the quarterly the HACC Minimum Data Set reporting for all services provided under the CHSP.

The Data Exchange is a simple to use IT system that supports the reporting of activity and performance information for the CHSP. The Data Exchange allows you to submit data in 3 different ways:

  • system to system transfer, where you keep your current Client Management System (CMS) but  your software regularly communicates with the Data Exchange and automatically upload the required data;

  • Bulk Upload is similar to system-to-system transfer, except that an extract of the required data from your client management system is uploaded to the Data Exchange; and

  • the web-based portal where you manually enter data directly into the Data Exchange and use the government supported client management system.

When is the first reporting milestone that I will be required to meet for the Data Exchange?

Unlike the MDS, the Data Exchange has two, 6-month reporting periods per annum. The first reporting period for new CHSP service providers in Victoria will be for the July to December 2016 period which is due by 30 January 2017.

Where can I find more information on the Data Exchange?

Following on from the face-to-face workshops held across Victoria in May 2016, the department also held Webinars focused on the CHSP Data Exchange. These Webinars provided an overview of the policy and framework behind the Data Exchange and IT vendor specific information to assist service providers during the transition. The Webinars can be a useful tool for new staff training or as a refresher and are available for viewing at your convenience through the department’s website.

Further information about the Data Exchange including technical specifications, task cards, user access forms and updates can also be found at: The Department of Social Services Data Exchange.

Will we need to refund any unspent money?

Funding should be spent or committed within the financial year in which it is paid. Providers should discuss any issues with expending funding with their Grant Agreement Manager. Providers will be required to repay funds that are unspent at the end of a financial year. The department will not fund any overspend encountered by a service provider.

What flexibility is there to deliver services and outputs?

The CHSP provides flexibility that allows organisations to quickly respond to short term changes in the needs of clients and communities.

Within the Community and Home Support Sub-Programme and Care Relationships and Carer Support Sub-Programme, providers can deliver up to 20% of the agreed outputs against other service types in the same sub-programme without seeking the department’s approval. This is on the basis that at least 80% of the agreed outputs are delivered.

Providers wishing to use greater than 20% flexibility or make changes to the delivery of outputs on a permanent basis must seek the department’s prior approval as it may be necessary to vary the Grant Agreement.

In the first year of the CHSP for Vic providers, the department will be flexible in reviewing your delivery of outputs and there will be later opportunities to discuss any significant issues with your Grant Agreement Manager.

Translating and Interpreting Services and resources

Will the Victorian Interpreter and Translation Service continue to be available from 1 July 2016?

Victorian CHSP providers and Victorian Regional Assessment Services are still able to access the Victorian Interpreter Service (VITS) from 1 July 2016. CHSP service providers and RAS service providers will continue to use the same HACC PIN number for the VITS credit line.

This is in addition to interpreting services available to all CHSP providers through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National). Information on what can be accessed through TIS National is available at the Translating and Interpreting Service national website.

How will the current insurance with the Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA) be managed?

The CHSP requires providers to have current and adequate insurance appropriate to their activities. The Commonwealth does not prescribe the amount or type of insurance required.

A transition arrangement has been agreed for 2016-17 where the VMIA Community Service Organisation Insurance Program will continue to provide cover for Victorian HACC providers transitioning to the CHSP until 30 June 2017.

NB: This advice does not apply to Victorian Health Services and Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations, who will continue to be covered under the VMIA Health Insurance program. It also does not apply to Victorian Local Councils who manage their own insurance coverage.

Will the Victorian State Wide Equipment Program still be available for providers transitioning to the CHSP?

The CHSP is not designed to replace the existing State Wide Equipment Program in Victoria. It is expected that consumers will continue to be able to access specialised aids and equipment schemes where there is a need for support. The CHSP provides entry-level services for frail, older people in order to maintain their independent community living and wellbeing. This includes home modifications and Goods, Equipment and Assistive technology. Funding is allocated directly to providers through the CHSP Grant Agreement to use for this purpose and there is not a separate application process. Up to $500 in total, per client, each financial year may be accessed for this service type.

Can we continue to use materials with the HACC Logo?

The Australian Government is aware that service providers who have previously received HACC funding under an agreement with the Victorian Government may have stocks of printed promotional materials which use different acknowledgements. These materials can continue to be used up until 1 July 2017 to allow service providers time to transition to the new arrangements. If updating the branding by this date causes any undue burden on service providers, they may contact the department to request special permission to continue to use the previous branding for an agreed period.

CHSP providers are obliged under Clause 4 of the Grant Agreement, to acknowledge CHSP funding in all publications, published advertising and promotional material. Organisations should not use the Commonwealth crest / departmental logo on their advertising material.

Section 5.1.9 of the CHSP Programme Manual  provides more information about Acknowledging the Funding and the wording to use for publications and published advertising and promotional materials. The wording “Funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services” should now reflect “Funded by the Australian Government Department of Health” since Ageing and Aged Care transferred to the Department of Health effective from 5 November 2015.

Who is responsible for the service provision to former HACC clients from 1 July?

Services for older Victorians (people aged 65 and over and aged 50 and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) are directly funded and managed through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) by the Commonwealth Department of Health.

Services for younger Victorians (people aged under 65 and under 50 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) continue to be funded and managed by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

Some HACC clients aged less than 65 will transfer to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) as it rolls out in Victoria.

My Aged Care

When will My Aged Care be implemented in Victoria?

To ensure the operational readiness and in the context of significant other activity in the sector including the implementation of NDIS and CHSP in Victoria from 1 July 2016, the transition to using My Aged Care will now occur on 1 August 2016. Business as usual arrangements will continue for people seeking CHSP services until 1 August 2016 and people can seek services directly from service providers until that date.

Who will manage Regional Assessment Services in Victoria?

DHHS will manage Regional Assessment Services on behalf of the Commonwealth for 3 years from 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2019.

How will clients access services from 1 July?

To ensure the operational readiness, the transition to using My Aged Care will now occur on 1 August 2016. Business as usual arrangements will continue for people seeking services until 1 August 2016. They can seek services directly from service providers until that date. This means that providers must continue to ensure that access to services is based on need and not on age.

From 1 August My Aged Care will be the main entry point to the aged care system.

When will a provider get to set up in the portal?

Service providers will be given access to the My Aged Care service provider portal prior to 1 August 2016. Note: service information will be available in the portal once funding agreements have been executed.

Service providers may have already undertaken the initial steps required for accessing My Aged Care. They should complete this work as soon as possible to help set up their organisation in My Aged Care.

Do current clients need to register with My Aged Care?

No. Clients in receipt of services prior to 1 August do not need to register with My Aged Care unless their needs or circumstances change significantly.

What happens if service providers are directly approached by people after 1 August?

After 1 August, service providers who are approached directly by people seeking Commonwealth funded aged care services should refer people to My Aged Care and will need to have processes in place to support people to access My Aged Care.

I have questions regarding My Aged Care and the provider portal

If you have questions about using the My Aged Care provider portal, the department encourages you to review support materials (available on the My Aged Care webpage).

If this does not help answer your question or concern, please contact the My Aged Care provider and assessor helpline on 1800 836 799. The helpline is available between 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm Saturday, local time across Australia.

Why is it important to update my details in the My Aged Care provider portal?

It is critically important that organisations update and maintain information about the services they deliver in the My Aged Care provider portal. This information is publically displayed in the service finders on the My Aged Care website and will be used by the My Aged Care contact centre and assessors to ensure accurate referrals for service(s).

How do I manage existing clients as they turn 65?

An existing client in receipt of state funded HACC services turning 65 (50 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) does not need to be referred through to My Aged Care to continue to receive services funded under the CHSP.

Service providers will transition the client from services funded by the HACC program for younger people to services funded by the CHSP.

Reporting of service hours will need to be changed from the MDS to report through the CHSP Data Exchange.

Growth funding

What will be the focus of future growth funds?

Growth funding will be reported as part of the Australian Government’s budget process and allocated on the basis of funding priorities as determined by the Australian Government from time to time. Identification of funding priorities for the CHSP will be informed by consultation with relevant stakeholders.

Will we receive funding to support the transition?

Similar to the arrangements for providers in other states and territories that transitioned to the CHSP, funding has been allocated for Victorian HACC providers to support the transition to the CHSP.

Funding was provided through your 2015-16 DHHS Service Agreement and was allocated according to the size of your organisation and relative amount of HACC funding currently received.

The funds will help providers to offset some of the costs that may be incurred through the transition including:

  • IT system upgrades or advice

  • Strategic planning

  • New reporting arrangements through the Data Exchange

  • National Police checks or

  • Communications related to the transition.

Do all staff need to have a police check under the CHSP?

Providers need to ensure that all staff, volunteers and executive decision makers working in CHSP services are suitable for the roles they are performing. This includes thorough background checks to select staff in accordance with the requirements under the Grant Agreement and the Home Care Standards.

CHSP Program Police Certificate Guidelines have been developed to assist service providers with the management of police check requirements and these are available in the CHSP Programme Manual.

Under the CHSP, relevant workers are required to have national police checks that are not more than three years old. This includes:

  • staff who are reasonably likely to interact with clients

  • volunteers who have unsupervised interaction with clients

  • executive decision makers.

As the renewal of police checks is different to the current requirements of the Victorian HACC program, there will be a transition period of 12 months for all Victorian HACC providers in relation to existing staff. To ensure you meet your obligations however, providers are encouraged to request statutory declarations for existing staff in the interim.

Where can I find more information?

There are a range of useful resources available on the website that provide further information to support Victorian HACC providers transitioning to the CHSP.

Please visit:

For enquiries relating to the CHSP Grant Agreement please contact or call 1800 900 554.