Information for Victorian Regional Assessment Services (RAS): Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) funded nursing and allied health services transition to My Aged Care

Page last updated: 28 September 2017

This information is relevant for Victorian RAS on the CHSP funded nursing and allied health services transition to My Aged Care.

Key points:

  • Victorian Regional Assessment Service (RAS) and Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) service providers transitioned to My Aged Care on 1 August 2016.
  • The only exception was the referral pathway whereby health professionals were able to refer people who only required CHSP allied health and/or nursing services, directly to CHSP providers, if this was the only service need(s) identified.
  • This pathway was in place for 12 months. An additional three month transition period was provided to allow for further support and education to be provided to the sector.
  • From 1 October 2017, clients requiring CHSP allied health and/or nursing services will need to be referred through My Aged Care.
  • If you have any further questions, you can contact the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services. 

Services for older people – health care and aged care

There is a variety of programs that provide nursing and allied health services for eligible older people in Victoria, including services funded through the Medicare Benefits Schedule and services provided by community health, hospitals and private health services.  

Clients do not need to come through My Aged Care to access these health care services.

Referrals only need to be made to My Aged Care where the client may be eligible for Commonwealth subsidised aged care services, such as the CHSP, Home Care Packages, Transition Care, Short Term Restorative Care, and also Residential Care. 

This is because My Aged Care is the national entry point for all Commonwealth subsidised aged care services. 

For further information about the services available in Victoria, please see: Service Care Options for Older People in Victoria

Direct to service referrals: the urgent pathway

The existing national direct to service referral pathway for urgent services is not changing.

This direct to service pathway can be used where a client has an urgent need for a service based on their circumstances which, if not met immediately, may place them at risk. 

The services where this is most likely to occur are:

  • nursing;
  • personal care;
  • meals; and
  • transport.

We acknowledge that there may be a very small number of exceptions to these four service types. If the client’s safety is at risk, direct to service referrals can be made for other services on an interim basis until an assessment is undertaken by a RAS or Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) assessor. 

If a health professional has made a direct to service referral, service providers are expected to make a referral to My Aged Care to arrange for an assessment as soon as possible. 

Ongoing services can only be provided following your assessment and recommendations for any ongoing service needs. 

The guidance to the sector has been that an assessment is likely to occur within two weeks, noting the service provider continue to provide these urgent services until the assessment is undertaken.

Referrals from health professionals

A referral from a health professional may include service recommendations based on their clinical assessment of the client.

We expect these would be taken into consideration during your assessment with the client and in developing their support plan.

Referrals for allied health and therapy services

The RAS and ACAS determine eligibility and make service referrals at the CHSP service type level, i.e. allied health and therapy. 

This covers all the service subtypes, for example, a referral for allied health and therapy includes podiatry, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work etc.  

You can continue to provide an indication of the allied health subtypes the client may require, by selecting these on the referral. 

This may help the service provider to obtain an indication of the services the client seeks.

It does not limit the type of allied health services that could be provided to the client.

The CHSP allied health and therapy service provider will need either a referral from you, or a referral code from the client to deliver services. If the client needs allied health services from different providers, you will need to issue multiple referrals, or referral codes. This is because a referral code can only be used by one provider.

This practice also allows multidisciplinary and co-located allied health professionals to continue their current collaborative practices when providing care to the client.

Service providers can continue to update the client record with any additional service delivery information.

Further information about CHSP allied health and therapy services is available at: CHSP Programme Manual 2017

When a client requires additional services

Service providers may initiate a support plan review, if the client’s needs or circumstances have changed.

Further information on this process is available at: Conducting a review of a client’s support plan and Support plan review and new assessment 

Episodic care

Service providers can continue to provide services to a client, if you have assessed and recommended the client for that service.

If the service provider has ‘ceased’ the client from within the service provider portal, either you will need to re-issue the referral, or they will obtain a referral code from the client by the My Aged Care contact centre.

Clients who may require additional assistance

There is a range of processes and people available to support clients to engage with My Aged Care and access aged care services.

This includes Access and Support workers who provide outreach services in Victoria, advocacy services, as well as the RAS and ACAS who can provide linking support/care coordination. A client is also able to establish a representative within My Aged Care.

The My Aged Care website provides useful information for consumers: How do I get help to talk to My Aged Care, and for others seeking to help someone access services: Talking to My Aged Care for someone

The information on this page has been developed in collaboration with the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services.