Younger people in residential aged care

Page last updated: 22 June 2017
This information sheet is for people under the age of 65 who are currently in residential care who may be eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Younger people may be living in a residential aged care home if they have been unable to access alternative housing and care due to their high-level care needs.

About the NDIS

The NDIS is a new way of providing support for people with disability, their families and carers in Australia. The NDIS will provide all Australians under the age of 65 with a permanent and significant disability with the reasonable and necessary supports they need to live an ordinary life. This may include personal care and support, access to the community, therapy services and essential equipment.

The National Disability Insurance Agency (the Agency) has been set up to put the NDIS in place (visit the NDIS website at for more detail).

The Agency will help educate service providers and the local community about how they can assist people with disability.

How will the NDIS support people being cared for in the aged care sector?

The NDIS aims to support people to live in the community or other settings that are suitable for their age (see the NDIS website for more detail).

If you are under 65 years old living in residential aged care you may be eligible to receive assistance from the NDIS including:

  • a planning conversation to explore goals;
  • assistance with care-related costs charged by an aged care provider (excluding daily living expenses);
  • supports to access social, civic and community activities and keep up informal support networks with family, friends and carers.
  • therapy including allied health supports (e.g. occupational therapy, speech pathology and physiotherapy) which have been shown to improve independence,
  • specialised equipment  for someone who has an on-going functional impairment which are not part of the residential aged care package or which may be provided in the treatment of a medical condition.

How can the NDIS assist me to move into the community?

If you are living in residential aged care, you may want to explore the goal of living in the community.

The NDIS may pay for modifications to make your home accessible. It may also assist you to live independently with supports such as personal care to help with showering or dressing, or help preparing meals and cleaning.

Residential aged care fees and payments

While you remain in aged care, you may still be asked to pay fees to contribute to accommodation costs, living expenses and care services that are not funded under the NDIS (visit the My Aged Care website at for more detail about aged care fees and payments).

Post-1 July 2014

If you entered care after 1 July 2014, you will continue to pay the same fees as you do now, which may include:

  1. Accommodation payments

A combined income and asset assessment was used to find out whether or not your accommodation was met in full or in part by the Australian Government, or if you will needed to pay the accommodation price agreed with your aged care home. The Department of Human Services (DHS) did this assessment.

  1. Daily fees

Daily fees help cover day-to-day living costs, such as meals, cleaning, laundry, heating and cooling and care costs such as nursing and personal care and include:

  • basic daily fee (everyone pays which the NDIS will not cover).
  • a means-tested care fee – an additional contribution towards the cost of your care (depending on your personal and financial circumstances) which the NDIS will cover. The NDIS representative will discuss this with you when they develop your care plan.

Your combined income and asset assessment was also used to find out whether or not you need to pay a means-tested care fee.

Pre-1 July 2014

If you were in care before 1 July 2014, you will continue to pay the same fees as you do now, which may include:

  • an accommodation payment depending on the outcome of your asset assessment (sometimes called a ‘bond’ or ‘charge’).
  • a basic daily fee: everyone pays this and it is not covered by the NDIS.
  • an income tested fee – an additional contribution towards the cost of your care, which the NDIS will cover. The NDIS representative will discuss this with you when they develop your care plan.

What to do next?

As you are already in residential care, an NDIS representative will call you or your representative (if you have one) to talk about your eligibility. If the NDIS cannot contact you by phone, you will be sent a letter and paper Access Request form.

To help the Agency with getting in contact with you, please ensure that your contact details (including phone numbers) and your representative (if you have one) contact details (including phone numbers) are up to date. You can do this by contacting the Department of Human Services (DHS) on 1800 227 475.

What happens once my eligibility has been determined?

You and your family will discuss your goals with an NDIS representative as part of the planning conversation.

Your plan will include the supports funded under the NDIS and those supports that are the responsibility of other parties.

I’ve paid an accommodation bond or RAD, will this be refunded?

No. If you need to stay in residential aged care, your accommodation bond or RAD will not be refunded and you can continue to be asked to pay any applicable daily accommodation payment/charge or contribution.

When will the NDIS be available in my region?

Roll out of the NDIS in all States and Territories (except Western Australia) started on 1 July 2016.

The current rollout schedule is available on the NDIS website at

Where can I go for more information?


  • Visit the NDIS website
  • Contact the NDIS by using their contact form.
  • Call 1800 800 110* Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm EST.
  • For people with hearing or speech loss:
    • TTY: 1800 555 677
    • Speak and Listen: 1800 555 727
  • For people who need help with English  TIS: 131 450

* 1800 calls are free from fixed lines; however calls from mobiles may be charged.

Department of Health

For further questions about what happens if you remain in aged care, email