Aged Care Sector Committee - Communiqué - 17 February 2017
The first Aged Care Sector Committee (the Committee) meeting of 2017 was held in Canberra on Friday 17 February.
The Hon Ken Wyatt AM MP, Minister for Aged Care and Minister for Indigenous Health, attended the meeting via teleconference. He introduced the newly appointed Committee members:
- Ms Samantha Edmonds, Manager of Ageing and Aged Care Projects, National LGBTI Health Alliance
- Dr Stephen Judd, Chief Executive, HammondCare.
The Minister asked for two new sub-groups to be established:
- Aged Care Sector Committee Diversity sub-group to develop the Diversity Framework, bringing existing frameworks under the one umbrella with individual action plans
- Aged Care Sector Committee Quality sub-group to develop and implement a 10 year vision for quality, in line with the Committee’s Roadmap.
The department updated the Committee on sector readiness activities that had taken place for the introduction of the Increasing Choice in Home Care measure on 27 February 2017. The Committee discussed prioritisation and access. Members were encouraged to ensure their provider, consumer and informal carer networks are receiving information being circulated to support the implementation.
The Chair of the Aged Care Legislated Review (the Review), Mr David Tune, AO PSM, provided an update on the Review consultation process:
- 144 submissions have been received
- stakeholder workshops are currently underway.
The next Committee meeting will be an extraordinary meeting to focus on the Review and will be held on 12 May 2017.