Aged Care Workforce Strategy Taskforce Terms of Reference
The taskforce will develop a strategy for growing and sustaining the workforce providing aged care services and support for older people, to meet their care needs in a variety of settings across Australia.
The taskforce will place particular emphasis on:
- Workforce planning covering workforce size and structure, managing growth and changes in service requirements, mix of occupations, workforce roles and distinct workforce needs in different care settings and market catchments.
- Supply and retention of the right workers with the right aptitudes in the right locations, and securing and sustaining up-to-date skills.
- The capacity of providers as employers, and the role of sector leadership, to equip the workforce to meet service requirements, needs and expectations of quality of care and services.
- Building sector-wide capabilities to innovate and extend new ways of working tailored to the needs of the older people who use aged care services, their families, carers and communities.
In undertaking its work, the taskforce will be expected to:
- Assess trends, emerging issues and potential scenarios relevant to the current and future workforce.
- Cover the entire aged care workforce engaged in providing care and services, including support staff, contracted services and volunteers.
- Work in the context of aged care system policy settings, integrity, consumer safeguards and funding.
- Consider wider government policy settings of relevance to the workforce.
- Have regard to recent submissions to and reports of relevant inquiries on aged care workforce matters, and government responses.
- Engage and consult widely to ensure all points of view are heard and considered.
- Integrate in its work an inclusive and responsive workforce to support the diverse needs of older people.
- Ensure coverage of regional, rural, remote and very remote workforce issues.
- Consider cross-sectoral challenges and opportunities, particularly with the health, disability, education and employment sectors.
- Incorporate short term, medium term and longer term actions as part of a sustainable strategy.