Aged Care for LGBTI elders: Getting started with My Aged Care

Page last updated: 26 May 2017

PDF icon Aged Care for LGBTI elders: Getting started with My Aged Care (PDF 835KB)

Aged care providers must make sure people of diverse gender, sexuality or who are intersex feel safe, included and respected.

The Australian Government is committed to providing aged care services that are inclusive of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender diverse and intersex elders (LGBTI). This commitment is reflected in the Aged Care Act and by government strategies which aim to ensure that aged care providers deliver inclusive and appropriate care.

What services are available?

Care at home

My Aged Care can help you access services at home, which can improve your wellbeing and help you stay independent. Receiving help with regular activities at the right time can help you manage better at home.

You may be eligible to receive services such as:

  • personal care like help with getting dressed
  • transport
  • modifications to your home like rails or ramps
  • nursing, physiotherapy and other care.

Short-term help and care in an aged care home

My Aged Care can also help you access short-term care services for situations such as:

  • recovery from an accident or illness including after a hospital stay
  • when you have had a setback and want to get your independence back
  • when you or your carer needs a break (respite care).

If you find you need ongoing help with day-to-day tasks or health care, a residential aged care home lets you live in a supported environment where help is available 24 hours a day.

Eligibility and costs

A call to My Aged Care can help you understand what services may be available, how much they cost and how you can access them.

The Australian Government contributes to the cost of aged care services. You are expected to contribute to the cost if you can afford to. How much you pay may depend on:

  • your financial situation
  • the number and types of services you receive
  • the service provider.

How to access services

1. Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422*

  • You will be asked questions over the phone to help work out your needs and care arrangements – this takes at least ten minutes.
  • You will need your Medicare card.
  • If you’re calling for someone else, they will need to give their consent.
  • You don’t have to tell My Aged Care you identify as LGBTI but if you do they will respect your privacy and confidentiality.

2. Have a face-to-face assessment

  • My Aged Care may arrange for a trained assessor to come to your home.
  • With your consent they will assess your care needs and eligibility for services.
  • The assessor will also work with you to develop a support plan which addresses your needs, goals and preferences.
  • You do not have to talk about any LGBTI-related needs but if you do the assessor will discuss how aged care providers will be able to support you.
  • Someone else can be with you during the visit – including your partner or someone from your family of choice.

3. Find out about costs

  • My Aged Care and service providers can give you information about costs. You will be told if you need a financial assessment.

4. Choose services

  • The service finder on the My Aged Care website can help you locate and compare some services in your area. For some types of aged care, you can search for providers that specialise in services for people who identify as LGBTI.
  • Your assessor and My Aged Care can also help you find a service provider(s) in your local area that meets your needs.
  • You do not have to tell providers you identify as LGBTI but if you do:
    • they must respect your privacy and confidentiality
    • you can ask them how they make people feel safe, included and respected
    • you can discuss any LGBTI-related care needs with them
    • you can tell them about your partner or someone from your family of choice.

My Aged Care

My Aged Care is the entry point to access aged care services and information about:

  • the different types of aged care services available
  • your eligibility for services
  • referrals to service providers that can meet your needs
  • your contribution to the cost of your aged care.

More information

or call 1800 200 422*

Weekdays – 8 am to 8 pm

Saturdays – 10 am to 2 pm

Closed on Sundays and public holidays

National Relay Service – call 1800 555 677* and ask for 1800 200 422*

Translating and Interpreting Service – call 131 450 and ask for 1800 200 422*

If you are a veteran or war widow/er you may also be eligible for Department of Veterans’ Affairs services or programs. Ask My Aged Care for more information.

*1800 calls are free from landlines and most Australian mobile phone providers now offer free calls to 1800 numbers. Check with your mobile phone provider.