LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care Resources
For the implementation of the LGBTI Strategy, the Australian Government in partnership with various LGBTI advocacy and support agencies have developed a range of LGBTI specific ageing and aged care resources aimed at the LGBTI community, their loved ones, carers and aged care service providers.
LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care Framework and Policy
- The National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Ageing and Aged Care Strategy.
LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care Consumer Factsheets and Resources
- Aged care for LGBTI elders: Getting started with My Aged Care: A guide for LGBTI communities to gain access to aged care services.
- Finding a LGBTI Inclusive Home Care Package on the Service Finder - A factsheet covering the steps for LGBTI to find LGBTI inclusive Home Care Packages on the Service Finder.
- LGBTI Advance Care Planning - A factsheet covering an overview of LGBTI advance care planning issues.
- LGBTI Advance Care Planning by State and Territory - A factsheet covering an overview of advance care planning requirements by each state and territory.
LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care Sector Factsheets and Resources
- LGBTI Sensitivity training: A 30 minute e-learning module to raise awareness across the aged care sector of LGBTI people and their ageing related issues, and provide the knowledge and skills for organisations and their staff to work to become more LGBTI inclusive.
- LGBTI: Inclusion and Awareness in aged care: A 24 minute video raising awareness across the aged care sector of LGBTI inclusive policies and practices and the ageing-related issues and needs of LGBTI people.
- My Aged Care Provider Factsheet - LGBTI inclusive aged care services: A factsheet outlining the LGBTI communities’ expectations of inclusive and appropriate aged care services.
- Aged Care Workers and HIV and Ageing booklet: A booklet to guide aged care workers on providing proper care to people living with HIV.
Other Departmental Sources for LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care Information and Services
- Advocacy Services - Advocacy services can represent you or your carer to protect and promote your rights and interests.
- Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) - CVS provides friendship and companionship by matching aged care recipients with volunteer visitors.
- My Aged Care Eligibility for diverse needs – My Aged Care is a website and a national contact centre (1800 200 422) that supports older people, their families, loved ones and carers to locate and gain access to aged care services.
External Sources for LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care Information and Services
- Alice's Garage - Alice’s Garage is a national project empowering LGBTI elders and promoting healthy LGBTI ageing in Australia.
- Alzheimer's Australia LGBTI Resources - Resources developed to support the LGBTI communities and their loved ones with dementia.
- Carer Gateway – Information and practical tips developed to support carers and organisations that provide health-related programs and services for the LGBTI community.
- Living Positive Victoria (Senior Voices Project) – The project addresses the challenging issues of HIV and ageing by educating aged care providers and their staff on the needs of senior people living with HIV and strengthens the resilience of senior people living with HIV.
- LGBTI Inclusive Practice The Rainbow Tick - The Rainbow Tick consists of six standards against which services can be formally accredited to demonstrate LGBTI inclusive practice and service delivery.
- National LGBTI Health Alliance - The national peak health body that provide health-related programs, services and research focused on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex people (LGBTI) and other sexuality, gender, and bodily diverse people and communities.
- Opal Institute - The OPAL (Older People And SexuaLity) Institute develops resources, conducts research, disseminates information, empowers older people and service providers.
- palliAGED – An information website to inform LGBTI people and the aged care sector on palliative care and advance care planning matters.
- Sisters and Brothers NT – A Northern Territory based support group that provides a safe space for Sistergirls, Brotherboys, Indigenous and non-Indigenous LGBTIQ people.
- Val's Cafe LGBTI resources – A Victoria based project seeking to improve the health and wellbeing of older lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex (LGBTI) people.
10 Questions to Ask about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex needs in Residential Aged Care
This leaflet is part of a series written by nurses, doctors and experts with experience in aged care. The series aims to make your journey into residential aged care easier.
You may find these leaflets useful when:
- Searching for a high quality residential aged care facility
- Reviewing the quality of your current residential aged care facility
- Deciding between two residential aged care facilities that appear similar.
Download 10 Questions to Ask about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex needs in Residential Aged Care
Look for other leaflets on questions to ask about specific care needs. These can be downloaded at 10 Questions to Ask
Suggestions and Feedback
Since the release of the LGBTI Strategy, there have been reforms in aged care placing a strong emphasis on the concepts of greater choice and control being put in the hands of the consumer and the aged care system being accessible, equitable and inclusive for all older people.
If you have any feedback or would like to suggest any LGBTI inclusive resources to be added to this LGBTI resources webpage, please email email@example.com.