My Aged Care Provider Factsheet - LGBTI inclusive aged care service benchmarks
|My Aged Care Provider Factsheet - LGBTI inclusive aged care service benchmarks||276.55 KB|
This factsheet provides information on what is expected of providers who indicate on My Aged Care that they can provide specific or customised aged care services for lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender and/or intersex (LGBTI) clients.
The Australian Government released the National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Ageing and Aged Care Strategy (the LGBTI Strategy) to respond to the needs of older LGBTI people and better support the aged care sector to deliver care that is sensitive and appropriate.
Since the LGBTI Strategy’s release and recent aged care reforms, the LGBTI communities’ expectations of aged services has increased to include aged care service providers having LGBTI inclusive practices and policies.
LGBTI Inclusive Aged Care Services
Before indicating on My Aged Care that your aged care service provides specific and safe services for older LGBTI people, make sure you have and can provide evidence on a consumer’s request of the following:
- Your service has been rainbow tick accredited or is in the process of being accredited.
- Your service has completed the self-assessment and planning tool for LGBTI inclusive aged care; and
- Your service has policies on non-discrimination, LGBTI inclusive practice and conflict resolution; and
- Staff and management in your service have undertaken or are undertaking the LGBTI Sensitivity Training.
Only by implementing either the Rainbow Tick or completing all 3 options above should you indicate your aged care service can provide specific and safe aged care services to older LGBTI people on My Aged Care.
For more Information
- The National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Ageing and Aged Care Strategy.
- Developing an LGBTI Inclusive Practice Policy - A fact sheet from the National LGBTI Health Alliance Silver Rainbow project.
- LGBTI Inclusive Practice The Rainbow Tick and self-assessment and planning tool - The Rainbow Tick and self‑assessment audit tool consists of six standards against which services can be formally accredited to demonstrate LGBTI inclusive practice and service delivery.
- The LGBTI Sensitivity training - This project is delivering LGBTI aged care awareness training to a broad range of staff working in ageing and aged care, students studying aged care and aged care assessment teams nationally.
- National LGBTI Health Alliance - the national peak health body that provide health-related programs, services and research focused on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex people (LGBTI) and other sexuality, gender, and bodily diverse people and communities.
- National LGBTI Health Alliance Fact Sheet Guide to developing an LGBTI Inclusive Practice Policy.